Monday 12 November 2007

Georges River - 10/11/07

Last week I said I couldn't wait to get out to chase a few bream as I reckoned that after the rain there'd be a few on the chew. And boy was I right! The first round of the Squidgy Bream Comps is on in a couple of weeks and I wanted to suss out a few spots. I won't give exact details of where but I did get around a fair bit.

The best of the day was this 42cm (total length) bluenose that took a fancy to the Berkley Gulp 6" Sandworm in camo that I was flicking about. It was in fairly shallow water and the SP had just settled on the sandy bottom when my line zipped sideways. I struck and this guy hit the afterburners! Now bream aren't like kingies but these big guys certainly put the light gear to the test. It's essential to have drags working perfectly and set accordingly. Around jetties and racks you may need to lock up and hold on but on the flats it's ok to let them take line when they need it.

After half a dozen runs he was pretty well played out but I took my time getting him into the net as he was still darting about trying to get under the yak. I hope I can land one or two of these guys during the comp, that's for sure. The bream weren't in any particular area today. I found them on the flats, along rocky shorelines and holding under boats. Back at the ramp I put the smallest I got (28cm) next to the big fella so you could see the difference in sizes! Makes him look like a tiddler, doesn't he? : )

With the tides being high, I thought there would have been a few flatties about but I could only manage one of 50cm's on a Halco HB I was trolling while moving between spots. Maybe all the fresh in the system put them off but it certainly felt like flattie weather to me.
Of course, I also had a mid-week fish down at the HWO, still trying to get a legal king. I had one HUGE hit that ripped the Mojo off the hook but unfortunately it missed the pointy bit. Tailor
were still about but not in the numbers that they have been previously. I'll blame the fresh water again. To the right is an example of the last thing that many baitfish will see this summer. CHOMP! Man, it'd be fricken scary being one of those baitfish. Imagine swimming around at night knowing that things like this were looking for ya!
If the rain stays away this week, I think a bass session on the Nepean may be on the cards for next weekend. Looks like I'd better ring Mr EastCoast and get the lazy bones out of bed. Happy yakkin', everyone!
cheers,
Cid

No comments: