Wednesday 5 March 2008

Cooks River - 2/3/08

I was really itchin' to get in a good bream session so I planned a trip to the Cooks River which at times has been simply superb for great breamin' action. Terry and I launched from the small ramp on Holbeach Ave and shook our fists at the unexpected rain. Straight to the road bridge and undercover for the next 15 minutes until it stopped. Terry was flicking around a large SP in hopes of a Jewfish and for about 5 seconds, he was connected to something that had considerable weight behind it. As he threw his head back and let our a long "Nooooooooooooo", I reminded him it was CATCH and release, not just release...


With the rain stopping we set of for some rocky shorelines that we felt would produce in the overcast weather combined with a runout tide. I was first on the board with a just legal fella (25cm's) taking a swipe at my Halco Scorpion. About 8 casts later, the lure is crunched again and this guy peels off some drag so I know he'll be a bit bigger. When I net him he proves me right and he stretches out to 36cm and by the looks of him, he's a Black Bream.

We take one side of the river each and over the next 3 hours, we have a ball landing a heap of bream. Nearly all of my 8 legals were landed on the Scorpion and Terry landed all nine of his on an SX40. My next best fish of 35cm's was taken on a Gulp Shrimp in molting colour rigged on a 1/20th oz jighead.

With the water still being a bit murky from the recent rain, we were working the lures v-e-r-y slowly with lots of pauses and twitches from the rod tips. During the pause you'd often feel a nudge at which point I'd give a slight twitch which more often than not tempted the bream into jumping on the lure.

The battle-scarred lure I was using is one of my favourites and this colour has been thumped by bigger bream than all my other HB's. Todays bountiful session was also (I'm sure) due to me replacing the trebles with some new Owner Stingers. The original hooks had been used for a few months and they just didn't feel as sharp as I'd like. These stingers are super sharp buggas which I can vouch for as I managed to get one of the hook points stuck in my palm. Gritted teeth and a quick yank surprisingly saw it come out without too much trouble. Twice before I've had barbs go in and each of those times I'd had to push the hooks right through before I could flatten the barbs.

If you haven't tried HB's for bream, then definately give them a go. The initial strike can be so hard and ferocious, completely different to the majority of hook ups that you'd get from an SP. When you have a session like Terry and I had, the adrenaline is pumping all morning. My 5 bag for the day was 2.52kg's which isn't too bad and considering I dropped two nice ones right at the side of the yak, I could easily have been nudging 3kg's. I'm sure if we'd spent a few more hours out there we'd have definately upgraded a few times and scored a corker of a bag.

Ah, the good ol' Cooks River. Not the cleanest of waterways but she can certainly turn on some rod-bending, drag-screaming fishing days when she wants to. It almost tempts me to stop chasing kingies...almost. : ) Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: