Tuesday 29 April 2008

Oyster Bay - 25/4/08

With all the comp's out of the way I could return to the ever-more-so relaxing style that is kayak fishing and my local launch site was seriously overdue for a visit. We had a few guests coming over for a BBQ to celebrate my birthday (yay!) and I boldly told the wife I'd catch dinner. At the ramp I met up with Andrew (9 Ball) who was waiting for Buj to arrive so they could play havoc with the local flathead population.

The tide was low so I headed to the mouth of the bay where the water is a bit deeper and I started by flicking around a River 2 Sea Baby Vibe 43. It didn't take long before I had my first 'guest' for the BBQ that night - a nice flathead of 44cm's. I landed 2 more that were just under legal size and by then I'd reached my first set of pontoons.

I changed to soft plastics and rigged up a Gulp 3" Minnow in LimeTiger. It didn't take longer to realise that there were a few bream about as I was getting a hook-up or at least a hit off every pontoon or jetty. There were no big bluenoses amongst them but they were still great fun. I had 3 in the livewell by the time 9 Ball and Buj caught up and I landed another 2 before it was time to head for home.

On the way back I targetted some of the jetties further up in the bay that now had a bit more water under them and I was pleasantly surprised to find that a couple more legal flatties were willing to join me onboard the Hobie. 9 Ball also had a few and his best so far was 50cm's. The boys were going to put in a few more hours and I think they'd have done pretty well for themselves as the tide rose even higher. I hope you got into a few real croc's, guys and it was great to catch up again.

Oh, and those flattie fillets quickly seared on the BBQ and finished off with garlic butter and fresh lime were just bee-yoot-i-ful! What a great way to celebrate a birthday. Happy yakkin', everyone.

cheers,
Cid

No comments: