Tuesday 2 February 2010

Squidgy Southern Bream Series 2010 - Rnd 1 - Georges River

Earlier in the week, Stewart and I had quick yak in Woolooware Bay sussing out the options for the weekends comp. We'd both missed out down at St Georges last week so we were keen to produce the goods on our home turf. I managed a cracker of a fish that went 38 fork and was soooooooooo hoping he'd turn up again on sunday.

This year the series is being run by the Basin Lure and Fly Club (www.basinlureandfly.org.au/) and 20 yaks turned up along with 64 boats that made the beach a very crowded spot at 6:30 am. The boats set off just before 7am and 5 minutes after them, we were off as well.

I'd already planned my day and figured most yaks would head into Woolooware Bay and hit the racks and mangrove edges. I decided to gamble and headed straight for Taren Point, hoping to get my bag quickly from the pontoons and moored boats that can fish well first thing in the morning.

I started off with a Gulp 2" shrimp (pepper) and flicked it into the shadows. 7 minutes were gone when I bagged my first fish. 30cm fork length and that's a good start. At the next jetty I pull a 24cm fork and at the next one I get a flattie.

Now I move onto the boats and land another 24cm fork bream. Shizer! 'Maybe the deeper water will be better,' I think, so I move out to where it is 4 meters deep. I also go for a change of SP and rig up a medium Squidgy Lobby (grenade) on a 1/16th jighead.

I've reached the boat where I got a big girl two weeks ago and optimistically I cast close to the hull and let the lure sink. I let it settle and give the rod tip a few quick shakes and let it sit again. I slowly start to lift the rod and feel some weight and set the hook. The rod bends but there is no big run, just weight, so I wonder what I've hooked. As I peer over the side, from under the boat glides what I'm after.

This beast is just cruising and doesn't even know it's hooked and as I look, I can't see the lure anywhere. Suddenly it notices me and it's off like a shot! I dip the rod in the water and keep it away from the hull and try to gently guide it away. I back the drag off, thinking that it may be hooked deep and I want to keep minimal pressure on it. An anxious minute or so passes by before I can let out a 'You beauty!' when I slide the net under him.

This guy is not overly long but boy he's fat and that's the kicker fish I want. 36 fork length and close to 900 grams I figure which combined with my first fish should put me up near 1.5 kgs. And it's only 7:50 am! It's about bloody time I had a good start.

But he had taken the lure down deep so rather than risk injuring him, I followed the DPI Fisheries advice on deep hooked fish and cut the line and left the hook there. Their studies have shown that survival rates are above 85% and prove just how tough bream are. For further reading, visit their site: www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/catch-and-release/research and read the 'bream: the survivor' paper. I figured if he lasted an hour, he should last all day. I had my fingers and toes crossed anyway.

I land ANOTHER 24 fork bream off the next boat and then it goes quiet. As I move about, I keep an eye on the time so I can stick to my plan. Just after 8am I'm just starting to head to Woolooware Bay to hit the racks when the rain sets in. And then comes the wind. No, not again!

As I cruise under Captain Cook Bridge, I notice that the water over the shallows on the eastern side of Taren Point are quite choppy. On rough, overcast days like this, the bream often venture in close so I find the edge of the weed bed with my sounder and start casting a shallow diving Jackall Chubby.

First cast I get a whiting about 35cms long which has me thinking I've got another corker. Gees they go hard! The next cast I get a legal flathead. Third times a charm, so they say and bingo! I'm on! This feels breamy and halleluyah, it is. Another 30cm forker and that's my 3 bag. They're 3 pretty good fish and if I manage an upgrade or two I'll be over the moon.

I drift that weed edge twice and land 3 legal bream but they are all only 25 fork length, so there are no upgrades. The wind is picking up and I head to the racks I decide to fish an area with lots of oyster-encrusted boulders scattered over the seabed. I'm now using a an SX40 and i get another two bream, both 24.5cm fork length.

Suddenly I think, 'What's that splashing?' My eyes quickley widen. I spin around and lift up the lid on my live well and see the three fish on their side in two inches of water. "Yeeeeaaaarrrggghhhhhh" Weed has blocked up my intake and stopped water from getting in. I quickly start scooping some water in and start to head for shore. Ahead of me I notice a yakker. It's Just Crusin (Dave) and as I explain my dilema he comes to my rescue and passes me over his large water scoop. Thank, Dave, you're a legend! I gotta get me one of those.

Back on the beach I unblock the inlet and it's as good as gold. The fish are still kicking strongly thankfully and there is now not too long to go until weigh-in. I don't manage anymore fish and pull up at the weigh-in site at 1:55pm.

There is a long wait for a weigh bag and the fish get constant top ups of water to keep them healthy. Finally it's my turn and I know that the leading weight so far for us yakkers is just over 1.5 kgs by daniel Holder. I'm confident of beating that and hope to crack the 2kg barrier. I have a quick chat to the guys as my fish go on the scale and I punch the air when they announce "2.175 kgs".

Still, my big worry is Stewie. I hadn't seen him all day and he's so good he can catch a fish in a rain puddle. If he'd fished the racks, he might have extracted a couple of real horses. But luckily for me, although Stewie did get three fish, he didn't manage to land any of the bruisers he hooked, so with 1.77 kgs, he took out 2nd place which gave me my first kayak tournament win. $400 for first place, which will obvioulsy be re-invested into the fishing industry! These bream can cost you a fortune...

Happily, my big guy powered off when I released him, so hopefully he'll be in that 85% that survive. The organisers did a fantastic job of the day and with that many anglers I see a hugely successfull series in the offing. I was a bit disappointed that there were only 20 yaks there, especially seeing as it was a Sydney event, too, and for only $50 entry you'll learn heaps and have a great time mixing with other like-minded anglers. Here is a pic of Stewie with his two best fish but I didn't notice the water spot on the lens, so sorry for the slightly smudged photo, Stewart.

The pressure is well and truly off me now, as I've automatically qualified for the Grand Final in
October. Now I can just fish the other rounds and have some fun. but I'll still be aiming for a podium spot and some of the cash. The next round is at Batemens Bay followed by Port hacking on the 7th March. come on yakkers, lets make it a great turn out and try to get at least 30 along for the day. Then we can show these power boaters what real fishing is about! : ) Happy yakkin', everyone!
cheers,
Cid
ps
For some more breaming tips, buy the Kayak Fishing Sydney DVD. : p

No comments: