Monday 6 August 2007

Oyster Bay - 5/8/07

Sorry for the lack of a report last week but I had trouble getting the right roof racks for the new car. I just know that every time I walked passed the kayak she was looking at me, almost saying 'Don't you love me anymore?' Finally the racks turned up though and sunday I snuck in a few hours down at the local. It was a real gentlemens launch time - 11am - and I was able to fish the last of the run in. Accompanied by the ever-present wind, of course.

After the dismal efforts the other week, I had a discussion with Gary Brown about where the fish might be lurking. He told me he'd caught some bream the other day over some flats in Sydney Harbour as the tide rose, so maybe they were up there in the warmer water. It made good sense to me so I figured it was worth a shot. I started by flicking a Halco Scorpion about and after 20 minutes I landed my first bream, a 28cm model that was introduced to my livewell.

5 minutes later I had another hit but the hooks didn't stick. I paused the lure for a few seconds, gave it a twitch and 'WALLOP', I'm on again. 29cm's this time and I'm pretty pleased with myself. The water temp was up near 14 degrees so it was much warmer than the cool 11 degrees of the Cooks River two weeks ago.

I moved off the flats and worked the rocky shorelines. Nuthin'! I switched to SP's (Sandworm in Camo) and on the first cast I feel a bump and set the hook into a 47cm flathead. 'Go the SP's!', I say. But that was it, no more bites. I even gave a few of the regular pontoons a good working over but all for nought. Back to the flats I go and bang, bang, two more bream fall to the HB's in quick succession. Only 25 and 26cm's this time but still legal.

And that was it for the day. I think most of the bream are still closer to the ocean but there are still a few about up where I was. I'm sure the warmer water over the flats was a key factor and I'll test it out again in a few weeks. If I can time the tides with an early morning, I think it'll be a good session. The HB's were worked fairly slowly, just an easy roll with a few twitches and pauses mixed in to spice things up. Happy yakkin, everyone.

cheers,
Cid

No comments: