Tuesday 8 January 2008

Nepean River - 6/1/08 & Sylvania Waters - 8/1/08

Well it's been a couple of months but I finally managed to get out bassin'! Terry and I launched into the darkness at 4:30am (I know, what a bloody stupid time to be on the water!) and paddled, YES, PADDLED a few km's to get to the good spots well away from where the crowds usually haunt. Paddling was the way to go due to there being lots of weed about and Hobie Mirage Drives don't go too well in that stuff. And I'll tell you what, man, were my shoulders and back aching a bit the next day...

Just as it was getting light, we started flicking surface lures around. terry had a couple of hits but no hook ups. I decided to change to one of my EastCoast spinners to see if some were down deep. From behind me a hear a 'BOOF' followed quickly by 'I'm on!'. I decided to wind in and go take a photo when crunch, I'm on too! Double hook-up, way to go! No problems for me as this guy is a few meters away from cover and I keep him out of harms way. 35cm's he goes and Terry lands his which could've been the twin of mine.

The morning was simply beautiful and the bellbirds and kookaburras sang to us through the light showers that kept us nice and cool. Terry was the champion today and landed another 4 beauties, the best going 37cm's. All I managed were some spectacular surface strikes that sprayed water everywhere but failed to connect. Who's complaining though when you get to fish in such beautiful surrounds. We didn't see another soul for the 4 hours we were out and it really pays to put the miles in to to get to the secluded and productive areas.

Monday was my last day of my holidays so I just HAD to get out for a fish. The wind was blowing about 15-17 knots so I set off to Sylvania Waters where I know I can get out of the wind within the canals. The fish certainly weren't thick but I did manage a nice mixed bag of 3 bream, 1 whiting and a PB flounder (from the yak) of 29cm's. All the fish were caught from under pontoons and jetties on various SP's: Gulp 2" Sandworm (Camo), 3" Minnow (Limetiger) and 3" Minnow (Mouldy Cheese). I also worked the moored boat hulls over and never even had a touch.

I'm hoping the water in the Bay will clear up a bit which should see the Kings come back in and start lurking around their usual spots. Maybe this weekend I'll get that 1 meter monster! Happy yakkin, everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: