Tuesday 29 July 2008

Botany Bay - 20/7/08

Work is still the bane of my existence but at least it keeps the wolves from my door. It was a week and a half ago that Terry and I ventured out of the Cooks River and over towards the runway as during the week he'd bagged a half a dozen salmon on SP's over the flats. Showing the stability of the Hobie Outback, Terry stood to cast a popper at a few surface boils not far away, but to be honest, I think he was trying to temp the Qantas jet. Thank God he didn't hook up! : )

Unfortunately, the boils only proved to be small chopper tailor that were no bigger than 25cm's. There were no signs of any salmon on the surface and our submerged SP's couldn't raise a scale either. We started to target the marker bouys and eventually picked up a few legal bream but nothing to write home about. I hooked what felt like a nice trevally (thump, thump, thump coming back up the line) but I pulled the hooks on it 30 seconds into the fight. A minute later, Terry lands one but he's in a generous mood and sets it free to grow a little more.

Heading back I switch to a TT Switchblade and start working the flats, hoping for a flathead. No flatties but I did manage to rack up another species on the blade, this time a Flounder that came home with me and tasted magnificent once filleted and dipped in a beer batter and served up with fresh lime wedges, Maldon Sea salt and cracked black pepper. Mmmm Mmmm...

The weather is looking a bit dicey this weekend but if there's a chance, I'll give it a go somewhere. I just hope it warms up a little...

cheers,

Cid

No comments: