Friday 5 June 2009

Georges River - 30/5/09 to 5/6/09

With all the bream comps out of the way (except for one coming up in 2 weeks), it was time to give the bream a rest and chase after a much more elusive quarry. I've been wanting to nail a few jewfish the last few years and haven't really had much success but I guess that's because I don't really target them specifically very often.


Well, it was time to change all that and this week, with a little help from Andrew and Stewart, we hit the usual spots in the Georges River, which are well known to most anglers - Captain Cook Bridge, Tom Uglys Bridge, Como Bridge as well as a couple of the deeper holes off headlands, such as just outside of Oatley Bay. Funny fish these Jewfish, one day you'll catch them at one spot and the next day there's not a scale to be raised. We would always manage some bycatch of flathead but they weren't what we were after so whenever anyone landed one you'd hear, "Aargghh, it's a bloody flattie!" This was quickly followed by chuckles and smart R's comments from the two who hadn't landed it.

The lures we used varied and at times they all seemed to work. I'd had most hits using a Squidgie Slick Rig 110mm Black and Gold Fish but when I ran out of these and switched to the Evil Minnow colour (light purple and silver) it didn't seem to make any difference. Andrew and Stewart were getting their fish on a prawn imitation SP that was rigged on a TT Revhead. The tackle I'm using is a Daiwa Advantage 2500 on a matching Daiwa rod. The TD Sensor braid is only 8lb, tipped with 20lb fluoro leader but the fish aren't that big at the moment, so the heavier gear can wait a little longer.


The technique I used was one I read in an article in Modern fishing a while back (I think Phil Bennet was the author. If so, thanks Phil!) on catching jewfish on lures. I was casting upcurrent and giving the lure a sharp lift and would then let the current carry it back towards me. The secret (well, Phils secret) to this was keeping contact with the lure as it fell back to the seabed. I reckon that 90% of the hits came on the drop and you had to have that tension on your line to be able to feel the bites and react quickly with a strike.

On one of the sessions I lost a real thumper of a fish that done me over on some piece of submerged structure. I'd just flicked my bail arm over after letting the lure sink to the bottom when I felt an almighty whack. Instinctively I set the hooks and this thing took off like a train. I only had time for one "WOOHOO!" before I felt the leader grind against something before all went slack. Man oh man, what an adrenaline rush.


I plan to concentrate on these magnificent fish over the next few months and I know that Port Hacking has some beauties within it's system too, so it'll be just a matter of getting out and giving it a go.
I'm still a relative beginner when it comes to catching these guys so I'll stick with the normal suggestions for best times ie The last and first hour of the top or bottom of the tide and if it coincides with dawn or dusk, then even better. Hopefully it won't be too long before we start seeing some quality specimens come over the side of our yaks. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: