Friday 19 June 2009

More Jewfish on the Georges - 12/6/09 to 19/6/09

Another week of chasing these truly beautiful fish with more mixed results. I wish I could crack a pattern but as yet it's still a case of being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes I get 'em, sometimes I don't! That's why they call it fishing and not catching, to quote a well known phrase.
This time though, I didn't catch any around structure. They were taken in the middle of the river, fishing the edges where the water drops off into deeper sections. I won't say exactly where, but it's inbetween Como Bridge and Captain Cook Bridge. : )

One thing is that mornings have worked slightly better for me but then again, I don't stay out too long once it gets dark. Tides haven't made a big difference on whether they are running in or out but I definately catch fewer fish right in the middle of the tides.

The same lures caught fish again and next time I'm going to give a few of the larger blades a go. I'm pretty sure they will be just as effective and they will ensure I get near the seabed when the tide is really moving along.

The wet weather hasn't put them off either. If anything, I've caught more when it's been pretty
miserable. This is probably due to the fact that there is almost no boat traffic rather than the fact that they like the rain. But I'm still waiting to get a biggun'! So far, the best I've managed is a 55 cm specimen, with most between 40 cms and 50 cms. I'll just keep sluggin' away and putting in the time. Every cast I make gets me one cast closer to that absolute stonker.
This sunday sees Gary and I defend our champions title as we compete in the Western Sydney Bream and Bass (www.wsbb.com.au) annual Bream Scramble. It's a one day teams event, catch and release, with our 5 best bream to be brought back for the weigh-in. Last year was really close but we hope to repeat our performance and come out on top again. Here's hoping... Happy yakkin', everyone!
cheers,
Cid

No comments: