Monday 13 July 2009

Botany Bay - 11/7/09

There'd been a few mutterings about good size tailor being caught in the Bay so the crack of dawn on saturday saw Stewart, Terry and myself pushing off to the Hot Water Outlet hoping to catch a few off guard. The conditions were ideal, with only a slight SW wind of 8-10 knots. The cold weather certainly keeps the traffic on the water down and we had the outlet to ourselves, except for a boat anchored 100 meters away.

First cast and Terry hooks up as soon as his lure hits the water. That's a good sign. The fish jumps three times before spitting the lure back at him. Sucka! I'm in position now and as I cast I notice out of the corner of my eye Stewart hooking up, too. And Terry is also back on. Triple hook up, yeehah!

I've cast one of Mick Munn's creations - a 'Splash and Dash' that I've reduced to one treble on the back. I find the tailor don't seem to throw this lure as much as when there are two trebles on it. I crank it quickly over the top and instantly it's mauled by a fish. In the background I hear Terry cry out as his fish jumps off. That's two he's lost. Double sucka!! Mine stays connected and he looks about 35 cms, so into the livewell he goes.

Stewart has also dropped his fish but is on again immediately and eventually lands a nice one that looks about 45 cms. Terry yells out "I'm on," but it's quickly followed by "Aaarrggghhhhh, not again!" when this fish does a Houdini on him, too. Triple sucka!!! Stewart and I are giggling like fools but finally, Terry gets one in the boat that is about 40 cms. And next cast he gets another almost the same size. He's on a roll now.

My popper is getting smacked across the surface non-stop and I land 6 fish and lose 3 before the action stops. As is typical of tailor, they disappear not long after sun up, so it's essential to be on the water at the right time. If your twenty minutes late, it's no fish for you! We landed a couple of decent fish between 45 and 50 cms and we all lost some bigger ones that put on a great acrobatic display leaping clear of the water several times before gaining their freedom.
We also tried for some kings but didn't even get a touch and eventually wound up the day with a couple of bream that were found lurking underneath some moored boats and barges. Not a bad couple of hours in the middle of winter. Happy yakkin', everybody!
cheers,
Cid

No comments: