Friday 31 July 2009

Cooks River - 26/7/09

Time for some Breamin'! Terry and I launched from the Kyeemagh boat ramp and conditions were ideal. Slight breeze, incoming tide and overcast. Straight up to the airport service bridge and Terry started with some Switchblades and I rigged up a Camo sandworm.

After 20 minutes I'd only had one tentative take and Terry hadn't even had a touch. I glanced at the sounder and the temp display didn't tell a good story. Only 14.1 degrees (brrrrrr) which could mean the fish may be a little lethargic. We kept at it and eventually I get a nice hook up. Solid runs and a 'thump, thump, thump' up the line and into the yak comes a fiesty trevally.
We move over to the rock walls and try the buntings but still the bream won't come out and play. terry is keen to head out the front to try the flats for a few more Trevally so we about face and head out to the bay.
I'm on a curfew so decide to work the freeway wall with blades as we drift along with the wind. I only have 10 meters of wall left when I hook up again. Not a treavally this time but what is it? Well surprise, surprise! It's a first for me from the yak and I'm chuffed to get him. It's an EP (Estuary Perch) and he's a healthy guy of about 38 cms. Woohoo! A few quick snaps and I send him back to his lair under the structure. Hopefully I'll get a few more next time I'm in the area.
I head in and Terry heads out. Smart move by him as he manages to get 4 Trevally, one bream and a great 70 cm flathead that he set free to keep breeding. Happy yakkin', everyone!
cheers,
Cid

No comments: