Thursday 11 March 2010

Squidgy Southern series - Rnd 3 - Port Hacking - 7-3-10

17 kayaks and 62 boats lined up for this round and we were all away fairly quickly just after 7 am. The boats would obviously get to any spots before us yakkers and the kayak field split, half going upstream and half back out towards Gymea bay. I shoot into Mansion Bay but only landed a few small guys until getting to a small rockwall where I got my first for the day. Bang on 25cm fork and I was hoping he wouldn't be in the live well too long. Down towards south west arm and there are a few boats and a couple of kayaks. I move down into Gymea bay and there are a couple of more boats working the pontoons I had in mind.

'Bugger this', I thought, 'I'm off to Yowie Bay.' I made a beeline and passed another 3 boats and two more yaks. My god, there everywhere! Thankfully, when I rounded the corner into Yowie, there wasn't anyone else in sight. I was flicking about a squidgy 100mm wriggler (bloodworm) and the first pontoon I hook up and land a 26 fork. Great, that's two. Onto the next pontoon and what? I'm on again. Woohoo! Another 26 fork and that's my limit. Now for upgrades.

I check my watch and it's 8:45 am. My wriggler is a bit beat up, so I change to a Gulp 2" shrimp (banana). I get a few more tentative touches until I skip the lure up into the shadows under a jetty. Slowly I see the line move sideways so I lift and set the hook. This definitely feels better and some quick rod work gets him away from the pontoon and pylons and ouit into the open. As calmly as I can, I take my time and ease the net under him. YES!!! That's what I want.

A quick measure and he's about 34 fork and a good kicker fish. The 25 fork goes back into the water and I'm feeling pretty confident now. I just want to get those two 26 fork lengths out and I'll be chuffed. It's now 9:05 am.

The wind is starting to pick up and I stick in close to the shore. Another skipped cast and I'm on again. Unbelievable! This one is 26.5 cms so another upgrade. Funny this fishing game. I remember back to Redcliffe in Qld where I could even raise a bream scale over two days fishing and here I am upgrading within 2.5 hours of the start. It just goes to show that luck can play a big part and being in the right place at the right time makes all the difference.

Uh oh! There is a boat coming towards me working the pontoons and another one about 50 meters behind him. One more pontoon will do me. The line shoots off again and blow me down, I get another one that's 26.5 cms. Not huge but they're in excellent condition so the weight will be good. I figure I've got about 1.6 kgs in the well which may be enough if this wind keeps up.

I decide to make my way down towards the flats near the Ballast Heap and on the way the wind really kicks in. All I pick up down there is a few Pike and after a fruitless hour or so, I head back towards Yowie and Gymea Bay. I battle the chop and the Jet Skis and the Wakeboarders and decide that any decent bream will have scarpered off from all this racket. I slowly make my way back to the weigh in and get back right at 2 pm.

There is the usual banter amongst us all and I quickly find out that Stewie is the only other yakker with a full bag. Three good fish but no kicker, so I'm in with a chance. He weighs in first and goes 1.51 kgs. I'm next and my big fish (775 grams) stretches the weight out to 1.66 kgs. You beauty. I just made it again and ended up with the winners cheque of $330 which will pay for next weekends journey up to Forster for the ABT/Hobie State Championships.
I traced out the path I took on Google earth and worked out that I travelled 17.8 kms for the day. No wonder I was knackered! The yellow dots are where I picked up my six legal fish.

Once again it was another fantastically run comp and well done to the organisers for making it such a fun day for everyone. Stewie has qualified for the Grand Final now which is great and I'll have to pick his brains about St Georges Basin where it'll be held. I don't think he'll be to helpful though. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,

Cid

1 comment:

Makka_z95 said...

great blog please continue,
hope to see your new blogs.