Tuesday 15 February 2011

Where are they??? - Kurnell - 13/2/11

It'd been a few weeks since I'd been out chasing those Kings in Botany Bay with poppers so I figured it was about time to get stuck into them again. Saturdays wind forecast was looking decidedly shabby so I put it off until the sunday. Wind-wise, this turned out well as I was greeted with only about 8-10 knots from the south which was perfectly acceptable to me.

No boats at the HWO was a good site for the eyes but once again I didn't even get a hit! If someone two years ago had said 'Where is a guaranteed spot to get some fish?' I'd have said the HWO. Getting there just as it was light enough to see would see you landing a few tailor which was then followed by a kingie or two, or at least a hookup! Ah well, that's life I suppose. RIP HWO...

Maybe they're at the Drums, so I continue out, scanning the surface for any bust-ups that would give away the presence of Tailor, Kings or Bonito. On the way I stopped at one of the Channel poles and flicked a blade about. Nuthin'.

Boat traffic was still fairly low and the Drums were all by their lonesome, too. Poppers first and then I tried some good ol' Mojo SP stickbaits that were allowed to sink to the bottom before being jigged back. Again they remained unmolested.

Next stop on the journey was the west towrads the 'Sticks'. These twin marker pylons are a well known spot in the Bay. Bream, Flathead and Snapper are all a good prospect here and I did manage one of each on a blade, but only the flathead (40cms) was legal. Plus I did hook what felt like a very good fish (probably another flattie) but he was only connected to me for a few seconds so I must've just lipped him. Bugga!

The whole time I'd been out I'd been watching for diving birds or bust-ups but I didn't see any action anywhere. Other boats were cruising about and one lot of guys I spoke to hadn't seen any kings either. I also tried trolling a Rapala deep diver (CD10 I think), again for nix.

From there it was back into another marker pole for another zippo effort before heading in towards the groins along Silver Beach. The blade came up trumps again and this time it was a flounder. I tell you, these blades will catch anything. He wasn't quite big enough to take home though so back he went until next time.

Back on the beach I measured the flattie, took a quick photo and slid him back into the ocean. He quickly settled into the sand and within a few seconds he'd changed from the mottled brown to the light tawny-sand colour you can see in the bottom photo. I wish I'd captured it on film, the change was so quick. next time I'll try to capture it. No wonder they're such a great ambush predator when they can hide as quickly and easily as that.

So the fishing wasn't great but at least I managed to get out for a while, which is better than staying at home doing nothing. Remember, you're a long time dead, so make the most of it while you can. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say that overall I am really impressed with this blog.It is easy to see that you are impassioned about your writing. I wish I had got your ability to write. I look forward to more updates and will be returning.



hobie kayaks sydney