Wednesday 2 March 2011

Towra Point & Georges River - 27/2/11

Another quick trip out to Towra at dawn, hoping for those schools of Bonito and Kings to be busting up all over the place, but alas, it wasn't to be. After futiley searching for 30 minutes, I decided to head in towards the mangroves and try a bit of surface action for bream.

As I sat there rigging up with an Ecogear PX45F, I had the bejesus scared out of me by a mini water spout that decided to start up only 20 meters from where I was. It was a quite surreal experience as I'd never seen one in the 'flesh' before and the first few seconds really had me questioning what was going on. With a high pitched 'Whoosh', it shot off across the water away from me, pushing a bow wave in front of it and spraying water about 20 feet in the air. It continued on for a hundred meters or so before disappearing. As the day wore on, I witnessed another two zipping across the water in the distance and only wish I had my camera out to get a video of them. Amazing stuff.

Unfortunately, the fishing wasn't as amazing but I did manage a few bream from next to the mangroves as the tide dropped. No record breakers but still great fun on the light gear. I stuck with the PX but next time I'll mix it up a bit and try some Sammys and Sugapens and see how they go.

Then on sunday morning I took Lachlan down to Oyster Bay. Last trip I started to teach him how to cast and we continued his lessons today. We'd move along the shoreline and he'd cast towards it and I'd have him slowly retrieve the lure. He's getting pretty good at it now and he managed to land his first 'cast and retrieve' fish, a decent flattie of 42 cms that took a liking to his SX40. A little later he landed a 27cm bream while muggins here didn't even turn a reel. Looks like he's beating his dad already. And I'm as proud as punch. : ) Happy yakkin, everyone!

cheers,

Cid

No comments: