Friday 9 August 2013

Gladiator Psyborg Rods: Great or a gimmick?

Instead of sulking like a petulant school child, I decided to do something about my lack of fishing time and applied it to giving my gear a quick spruce up. It was while cleaning down my rods that I took a closer look at the Psyborgs that I have. These really are a beautiful looking rod with their polished metallic appearance and it wasn't until I took the reel off one of them that I remembered just how feather-light these things are.

The Pysborgs are crafted from a material known as Nano IMX Graphite which is nano carbon (IM10 Graphite from Toray) formulated with resin (3M nano-resin) that binds the carbon fibre and re-enforces the blank to the extent that broken rods may be a thing of the past. Many of us have had those top of the range graphite rods that at some point in their life have been bumped too hard or scratched slightly which creates a weak-point that can snap under a heavy load, such as when a rampaging bream is trying to bury itself back in the oyster racks (yes, I'm talking about you, the bream in Woolooware Bay from about 4 months ago).

These rods are approximately 30% stronger, up to 10% lighter and have hugely improved impact resistance compared to conventional carbon fibre. Top this brilliant blank off with new Fuji KR Concept guides and the minimalist skeleton reel seat and you have a rod that stands out from all the rest. Seven rods are available in the series ranging from a 2 piece 6' 2-4 kg rod suitable for packing away while camping and trekking and is ideal for trout or bass, to the 1 piece 7'6" 2-6 kg rod that is ideal for chasing snapper with SP's and putting in those longer casts to reach surface feeding pelagics.

Ok, that's all the technical stuff out of the way, let's get down to the practical details and why I think they are a great rod to have in your arsenal. Firstly, these things are so light you can effortlessly cast them all day long. At just over 94 grams, they are unbelievable! I fish in quite a few competitions and I know that casting for several hours can start to take it's toll on your arms and back if the gear you are using is rather heavy. You mightn't think that 30 or 40 grams makes much of a difference, but believe me, it does.

Secondly, the KR Concept guides are a godsend when it comes to light lines. The design of these runners helps to avoid line wrap around the runners by enabling the line to 'slip off' the runners if a loop occurs. Less time untangling, more time fishing.

Thirdly, the height of the first three stripping guides prevent line slap against the rod, one of the main culprits in reducing casting distance. This is more noticeable with mono filament lines but even braid line users will see themselves gaining those extra few meters each cast. Ideal for those days hunting skittish fish over the flats.

Fourth, the skeleton reel seat. This was a new concept for me and apart from keeping the rod weight down, it performs a very important secondary function. While holding the rod, I'm able to keep in contact with the rod blank at all times and any slight 'tick' in the line is transmitted through the rod to me. When fish are a bit shy and are tentative with their bites, being able to feel the slightest vibration can be the difference between "Fish on!" and "Aaargh, just missed him..."

'Ok,' you're saying, 'but what are their bad points?' Well, there is none. But if you want me to be extremely picky, I will be. When I first started using these rods, I was used to a shorter butt length. I thought they were a bit too long but all it took was a few sessions to adjust. The extra length affords me greater control over the fish in tight areas ie racks and around jetties and the added casting accuracy and distance is a definite advantage. Also, I use fluoro leaders to connect to my braid and heavy leaders of 12lb or more isn't really suited to the 1-3kg range. The ultra-fine guides weren't designed for the size of the knot trying to slide through and you will notice line bump while casting. Anything under 10lb is fine though and a work around is using shorter leader lengths so it stays outside of the runners while casting.

If you see me out at anytime and want to have a look at the rods, please just come over and ask. I'm not the only ones using these rods though and two of the top boating teams use them, too. Fellow Gladiator team members Anthony and Rodney Thorpe, and Glenn Ross and Mark Crompton use these rods and are consistently ranking in the top of any tournaments they enter. These guys are always looking for anything that'll give them the edge, and the Psyborg Rods are an integral part of the gear they use. And they, like me, know that they are a great rod and not a gimmick.

So if you're looking for a new high-end rod with all the 'bells and whistles' that wont break the bank, the Gladiator Psyborgs are the way to go. Prices are between $229-$299 depending on the model and they can be found at Amazon Outdoors, Rockdale Bait and Tackle, Compleat Angler Northrocks and Motackle.

Lately, I just wish I had more opportunity to use 'em but now that soccer is over, look out fish! Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: