Friday 1 February 2013

Bronze Monsters - January 2013


I've yet to get out chasing bass this season but Terry as you know, is addicted to these iconic Aussie sportfish and he's been venturing out for them rather regularly. After looking at these photos, I wish I'd tagged along with him. Here's his story...

Well finally a bass report is here. I've just been a bit too lazy, tho I haven’t been lazy chasing them .A lot of fishing and quite a few kilometers have been done since this bass season kicked off . The rivers are looking at their best with plenty of rainfall in the right areas during 2012 & a flood had cleaned out most of the noxious weed. Some of the old snags disappeared but fear not, new ones were created to make a home for the bronze battlers.

This season has kicked off with great results with plenty of water flow early on & luckily it's still flowing quite well, making it much easier for the bass to be able to travel their way upriver for the duration of summer.
This time I decided to give the bass a different approach; I've been heading down to my local river in the early hours of the morning, in search of those big bronze battlers, while everybody else is in bed.
Surface lures have seen me get my best success for the big bass in the past. Big surface walkers that make plenty of noise & rattle have been getting the attention & there is nuthin' better than hearing a massive explosion or seeing a surface strike only metres away from the kayak.

Casting isn’t that important when fishing in the dark, tho bear in mind it will still need to be close enough (2ft-3ft) to the bank or snags. In this low or non-existent light, knowing your area is a bonus.

The Splatterbug by Lurelogic has been by far the best lure for me and the bass can’t resist it.

This summer has been one of the best in a long time as I have been getting into some quality fish. Getting big bass means beefing up your fishing tackle is a must if you want the results.  10lb braid with 15-20lb leaders should be able to stop them before they bust you off and there's a great chance that you’ll land that trophy fish of a lifetime.

Fishing in pressured waters like my local river, can prove tough to score big fish, tho if you put in the time & effort & learn the waterway it will all fall into place. If your not keen to head out in the middle of the night it doesn’t matter too much as early mornings or late afternoons will still see you get tangled into some great fish.

Getting a bass at 400mm these days is still a great fish and in most peoples terms is still classed as a trophy fish. For me, this bass season has been incredible with a lgreater than normal amount of great bass being landed that were over the 400mm mark and being caught in various times of day. As I mentioned earlier, I did try very early in the mornings for those big mummas but it had proved tuff . Most of the fish surprisingly were caught a little later in the day.

On one of my days I on the water I had a great session & amongst the catch I had a few fish that were previously caught & tagged by the NSW Fisheries.  Its great to see them out on the water doing their research on how the bass travel & grow. I was lucky enough to retrieve the number information from the tag  & submit it to the NSWDPI. Its very interesting on how they travel & grow. It can take time for the DPI to get back to you, but eventually they will. By returning the info on fish size, where you caught it and the tag ID, you will score lures for each tagged fish as a reward. So grab your yak & head out there for some hot action hopefully next time it could be you landing that trophy fish.

Here a are some photos of some quality fish this bass season so far, hope you enjoyed them
Happy yakkin
Tezza

Schweppes, Terry! Those fish are unbelievable. I spoke to Terry about the biggest fish and it was just shy of 60cms. It looks more like a jewfish than a bass. Great to know that they are still out there swimming about.

I didn't manage to make it down to Glenelg for the first tournament in the new Bream Season so this weekend I finally start with my first one up on Brisbane Waters, launching from Woy Woy. With the sad folding of the Squidgy Southern Bream Series, Hobie and Gamakatsu picked up the reins and have organised for a range of comps up and down the coast. For full details, please visit www.hobiefishing.com.au/ and click on the Tournaments button. 

It looks like we'll get over 40 yakkers there, so it'll be a good field. Lets hope the weather is kind to us and we all manage to get into a few big breambos. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: