Thursday 11 April 2013

Georges River - Part 1 - 6/4/13

Just a quick report on some of the fish we managed to land around Captain Cooks Bridge last weekend. Luke and Chris were keen to target the area so I suggested we start at the bridge and try to land a jewfish or two before venturing over to the nearby boats and jetties and flats which would mix the action up a bit. I was still keen for some more flathead fillets and these combined with a nice couple of slabs of prime jewfish would be perfect.

The mornings are definitely getting cooler which is fine by me because it keeps the boat traffic down and keeps the fish on the chew a bit longer. We quickly set off and I started throwing around a Squidgy 110mm Slick Rig in black and gold. I've still not managed to organise some of the larger Gladiator plastics for Jewfish  yet, so for now I was relying on this old favorite.

The first cast for the day and I had a bump on the lure, which is always a good sign. Chris was only a few meters away from me and also had a whack and he asked me what a Jewfish bite was like. Just then my rod doubled over and I grinned, "Like this!' There was a small run and then the traditional head shakes that accompanies most of the Jewfish fights. I could tell it wasn't a beast but it still put in a few good runs and it was nice to achieve what we'd set out to do.

By the time I'd organised myself and was ready for another cast, I looked over and could see Chris hooked up. Not a Jewie but surprise, surprise, it's a legal snapper! First one I've seen from here and definitely a good sign for the system. I went back to chasing the Jewies but even though I had another two hits, I couldn't convert them to hook-ups. A quick change to one of the Gladiator Runner Blades sees a small Flathead and a just undersize bream hit the decks but neither are going to join the Jewfish in the live well. Times up for this caper so it was time to move on to other areas.

As we approached Luke he'd just landed a nice bream on a deep diving crank that he rolled down the length of the bridge supports. 'One more cast,' he says and the lure is grabbed and NOT returned by something bigger and beefier than the previous bream. I'd hate to come back in life as a lure...

So part one has been successful, lets hope the next stage of our session works out as planned, too. I'm still after some flathead to take home and my lure of choice is going to be the Tackle House Elfin Shrimp, so let's go. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: