Tuesday 29 May 2007

Kurnell Report – 14/4/07

For once the weather Gods were nice to me and when DaveyG and I launched from Kurnell next to the Oil Refinery Wharf, there was only a slight breeze coming out of the NW. With Davey paddling and me pedalling, we set off for the south head of Botany Bay with hopes of landing a few kingies or bonitos or tailor…or whatever!

Just as we rounded the headland, Davey gets a hit on his heavy gear (30lb) and he winches in a 50cm bonito that at least gives him a spirited run around at the side of his yak. This one had fallen to a deep diver and we were both optimistic about getting a few more. We trolled a km or so south and worked some washes with metals and soft plastics.

We trolled back, looking for birds or baitfish but they were conspicuous by their absence. We tried various depths, different lures and continued working the washes. All for nada! Even the rock fishos weren’t landing anything. Ah well, that’s fishing. I couldn’t stay out too long as I had my sons 3rd birthday party (Happy Birthday Lachlan) to set-up but at least it was nice to finally catch up with Davey and get a few photos on a beautiful day.

I met up with Mick Munns from EastCoast Lures on the way back in and he showed me the prototypes for his new bream surface lures that he’s testing. Oooh, do they look good! I can’t wait until he starts getting those into production.

He also let me have a turn of his turbo fins. These are larger and more rigid than the standard fins that I have and I have to say that my wife will not be pleased as I’ll have to spend more money and buy myself a set! They make a huge difference and I was tempted to do a runner and leave Mick with my old fins. The trouble is he knows where I live… : ) Happy yakkin’ everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: