Tuesday 29 May 2007

Port Hacking Report – 13/5/06



For something different I thought a late season attempt at some Kingies in Botany Bay was due. Adam was busy this weekend so I launched all by my lonesome from Silver Beach, right next to the Oil Refinery Wharf at Kurnell. I headed out to the fish cages and berleyed up with a mixture of bread, chopped pilchards and sand. The water was so clear I could see the bottom 5 meters below me.

I was getting a bit apprehensive as after 5 minutes of berlying there wasn’t a baitfish to be seen! Hmmm, a few more minutes I thought, so I kept at it with my Sabiki Rig. This is a baitfish setup that has 4 to 6 small hooks with a bead and flashy plastic tied to the hook. Just add a small sinker to the bottom and then jig it up and down in your berley trail and wait for the fish to bite.

Thankfully my persistence paid off and a school of yellowtail (yakkas) showed up. I quickly added 6 to my live well with one a ripper of 30cm. I now dropped one of these nose-rigged yakkas down and started to troll around the hot water outlet. No joy, so I ventured along the wharf and over to Watts Reef. The water was a bit lumpy but not too bad so I did a few circuits. Nada! No birds working anywhere either and after a pleasant but fishless (except for the yakkas!) two hours I returned to shore and set my relieved live baits free.

I had two hours until curfew, so I raced down to Greys Point and quickly went chasing some bream. As per usual, the water was gin-clear here too, and I could see lots of bream but they were pretty spooky. I managed one of 30cm, caught on a Berkley Gulp Sandworm (natural colour) and I could only add a small 34cm flathead to my tally as I trolled my way back to the ramp.

A tough day but it was still better than sitting in front of the TV. Adam and I will be competing against the power boats while fishing the Ausbream Social this weekend (with a fellow yakker, Peril) so check out the site next week to see how we went. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: