Wednesday 24 December 2008

Parramatta River - 14/12/08 & Oyster Bay - 21/12/08

Squidgie Bream Challenge Round 2 - Parramatta River

While Gary sat and drank bourbons in the pool on Hamilton Island, Terry and I braved the 30 knot winds (again!) for a rather unspectacular bag. We only managed 2 fish and didn't even crack the top 20. Sure, we lost a few crackers but the only fish of note landed was a nice whiting of 40 cms that Terry picked up with ten minutes to go.
Oh, and Terry did hook a monster...the only trouble was that the monster was him. Ouch! Right in past the barb and it took him about 20 minutes of cursing, crying and yelling to get the hook out. Makes me wonder how the fish get off so easily sometimes.

Oyster Bay - Lachlans 1st fishing trip

I remember a family holiday at Nords Wharf on Lake Macquarie when I was four years old and the days were spent with my father, drifting around in a tinnie, catching bream, flathead, whiting and blue swimmer crabs. That holiday was golden and my dad instilled in me a love for fishing that will be with me forever.

I felt that my son, Lachlan, who is four, was ready to come out in the yak and I'd attempt to get him hooked on this wonderful lifestyle we lead. He was a bit sceptical when I woke him at 5 am but was keen to get in the yak as soon as we reached Oyster Bay.

Drifting the flats with one lure out the back and casting ahead with the other (I'd cast and Lachlan would wind in), it didn't take long to get a hit and Lachlan was ecstatic. This was no record breaker but it bought back those fond memories again as this was the same type of fish that I'd caught for the first time all those years ago. A bream! Not legal but Lachlans eyes were wide with wonder and he readily accepted why we had to put him back.

Over the next two hours, I had the best fishing session ever. Not because we caught the most fish or the biggest but because I was there with Lachlan, teaching him what had been taught to me by my dad and watching him get excited over the same things all us anglers do. After 3 fish, he wanted to land them on his own and I was surprised when he managed it, too.

The final tally for the day was 8 fish - 6 to Lachlan and 2 to Dad, with four keepers (3 flatties and 1 bream). Back home he couldn't wait to show off his fish and was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when Grandpa took some snapshots.


We snuck out again for a quick session this arvo and landed a hefty flattie that went close to 60 cms which was closely followed by another about 40 cms. When we'd packed up and finished putting the kayak away he said, "When are we going again, Dad?"


It looks like I've got a new fishin' buddy.


Unfortunately my father died 17 years ago but I know he'd get just as big a buzz out of seeing Lachlan enjoying himself as I do. I never said it at Lake Macquarie when I was four but I'll say it now.

Thanks, Dad.

Happy yakkin', everyone and may you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

cheers,
Cid

No comments: