Tuesday 29 May 2007

Pittwater and Cooks Report – 18-2 and 6-3-07

Firstly, our apologies for the lack of reports the last two weeks. Adam (our web-guru) had a well earned holiday and I was busy with the birth of my new baby girl, Danielle. 52.5cm’s and 3.645 kg’s. She is definitely my best effort for quite a while. : ) Of course, my wife Natalie had a little to do with it, too.

Back on the 18th February I was in the Berkley Summer Series Bream competition with Gary Brown. It was held on the Hawkesbury and we launched in Pittwater. It was a team event with a bag limit of 5 bream. ‘It’ll be a cinch,’ we thought. Wrong!

We went to Careel Bay to fish the weed beds as the tide was running in. Gary nailed a 1kg bream on a surface lure after just 15 minutes and I landed one straight after that was just half a centimetre short of the 25cm fork length. And that was it!

We hooked everything BUT bream: flathead, flounder, snapper, tailor, whiting and even a 3 foot Long Tom. Towards the end of the day we did land a few bream but they were just undersize. The highlight of the day for me was my best whiting to date, a 39cm thumper that fell to a Berkley 2”Minnow Grub in Pumpkinseed.

Today I braved the 20-25 knot winds and assaulted the bridges on the Cooks River. I could find a few spots out of the continuous gale and managed 4 legals – 3 at 29cm and 1 at 31cm. Nothing huge but it was nice to get back on the water after a few weeks break. The water was a real coffee colour and the tide wasn’t quite right for the Cooks but I knew there’d be a few about. Funnily enough, they all fell to a different lure: Berkley 6” Sandworms and 2” Minnow Grubs, Squidgy Bloodworm wriggler and a Smak Rackwalker (Black/Silver).

Fingers crossed the wife will let me out for another round this week sometime and if the weather clears I want to get out into Botany Bay to see if there is anything a bit bigger kicking around. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: