Wednesday 28 October 2009

Oyster Bay - 24/10/09

Busy, busy, busy with the DVD, which is a good thing but it certainly chews into you fishing time. A big thanks to all those that have invested in the DVD already and Adam and I really hope you enjoy it.

I did manage to sneak out for a quick session to Oyster Bay as I'd promised the In-laws a feed of fresh fish. Tides weren't the best but the water is noticably warmer and I managed to have a pretty good morning. I was working the edges of the weedbeds where they drop off into deeper water and varied between SP's and HB's over the two hours I was there.

First to come aboard were two whiting, one caught on a shallow diving Jackall Chubby and the other on a Berkley Gulp 2" Shrimp (molting). I then changed to a 6" Sandworm (Camo) and picked up a flattie quickly followed by a bream.

Another change of lures, this time to an Atomic Hardz mid Shad 40. First cast and it's hit hard and the drag howls. 'What's this?' I ask. Some strong, fast runs and I see a glint of silver but it doesn't feel breamy. I'm over the flats and with no structure for the fish to bust me up on so I take my time. Eventually it glides into view and it's a Silver Trevally. Wow, this is the first one I've caught this far upstream from Botany Bay and he's a welcome addition to my bag.

I figure I need one more fish and stick with the Atomic and roll it along the weedy edges. Three quick flatties in succession but they're all too small, however it's promising to see so many about. Eventually a keeper jumps on and I'm off home with the task at hand completed.

The ABT/Hobie Kayak round at Narrabeen is just around the corner and I've had a few questions about the lures I use. I thought that this week I'd show a photo of the Hard Bodies I'll use. Based on the fact that Narrabeen is a fairly shallow location, most of these HB's are shallow divers or surface lures.
Early morning is ideal for using the Pencil, Sugapen or Sammy on the surface over the weedbeds and a slow walk-the-dog presentation should attract a few interested fish which will hopefully whack them with gusto!
The Atomic Hardz and Chubby's are shallow divers, so they can also be worked over the weedbeds with a slow roll with lots of pauses and twitches added in. Vary your retrieve until you work out what the fish are interested in on the day. Sometimes they like an aggresive retrieve while at other times they like it nice and sloooooooooooow.
For the deeper areas and drop-offs, I'll use the SX40's, Pygmy or Blades. If it's extra windy, the blades can really be effective as you can still cast them a mile, even into the wind. Next week I'll give a run down on the Soft Plastics I'll be using. Happy yakkin', everyone!
cheers,
Cid

No comments: