Friday 24 May 2013

Georges River update

This Sunday, 26th May 2013, sees the Gamakatsu Team Series make it's way to the mighty Georges River. There'll probably be 50+ boats and 30+ kayaks trying to get their best bags and the fishing has been pretty good from the few reports I've heard. I also snuck out for a quick couple of hours and nabbed a few myself, so I'm really looking forward to fishing this comp on my home turf.

There's a huge variety of locations to target and boats and yakkers will scatter far and wide. Some up to the Cooks River, some out towards Kurnell, others to Towra Point, Wooloware Bay or Kogarah Bay and some will go upstream towards Como and Oatley. There's boats, racks, flats, weedbeds, rocky shore lines, mangroves, jetty's and deep holes everywhere and all of them hold bream at some stage or another, it's just finding out which ones on the day.

Some of the bigger bream are really chunky, so I expect to see some good bags weighed in. My best from last week went just over 34 fork but he had massive shoulders and a big gut on him and would've come close to 900 grams. A few of these in my well would be a welcome addition, that's for sure. Of course, this guy went back so I'm hoping he'll recognise me and know that he'll only have a short ride before eventually being set free. Fingers crossed, eh?

This round is also a qualifier for the Daiwa Hobie ABT Grand Final to be held in Marlo in November and it's a good chance to get through as a lot of the competitors have already qualified. So crack a top 10 spot and you may just get a ticket to the biggest dance in the Kayak Fishing Tournament calendar. The weather is looking pretty good too, so come on down and jump in. You can sign up on the morning too, so there's no excuses for not having a go. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: