Friday 3 May 2013

What lures to use for Forster ABT/Hobie round this weekend? -

This Saturday and Sunday (4th-5th May) sees the ABT/Hobie Super Series round being played out at Forster, famous for it's oyster racks and big bluenose bream that love taking your lures home as souvenirs. In preparation I've selected the Hard Body Lures and the Soft Plastics that I'll be using to catch my limit (hopefully). All of this great range of these lures are distributed by Gladiator Tackle and all good tackle stores stock them so you wont have any trouble getting your hands on a few.

First off, the HB's.  At the top of the photo are a couple of surface lures, Kozami 60's, as this is still a viable option above the racks. Below these are the Tackle House Elfin Shrimps. With lots of prawns in the system at the moment (according to reports) these will probably be the first things I flick out to run down the sides of the racks and wash boards.

Below these are the Hip Baby 40's, a great inexpensive lure with a good action that casts well even on windy days. The black one is a favourite and I hope he comes home with me safely. Under these are the Mutants, a longer profile which I think is a big fish attractor and when I'm after upgrades, this'll be tied onto some 10-14lb leader to extract those bigger fish.

At the bottom are the Bingo's. Another lure that casts like a bullet and with a few shallow diving examples in my kit, these'll get a run over the top of the racks, too.

Onto the soft plastics and most of these will be rigged on a Hidden Weight System (HWS) jighead with weights varying from 1/20th to 1/40th. The lure on the top is a Bait Breath Fishtail Shad and this colour is a great replica of a prawn. Below these is the new 3.5 in Bait Breath Fishcurly. I haven't flicked one of these out yet but it'll definitely get a swim this weekend.

Next down is the famous Gladiator 7cm Smashbait. The green colour is a renowned fish catcher and these drifted down and twitched next to the racks are sure to get some special attention. The Rushcraws and the Swifttails below these are great for a more finesse presentation and finally we come to the Bait Breath  Rockin Crabs. These things are the bees knees over in WA and I'm certain that a lightly weighted one floated down next to the washboards will be snaffled very quickly.

Now all I need to to do is find the fish. Wish me luck. Happy yakkin', everyone!

cheers,
Cid

No comments: