Tuesday 29 May 2007

Ausbream Pittwater Report – 26/11/06

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. When, oh when are these bloody winds going to ease up and give us a break? A 20 knot southerly with 25 knot gusts is not the best of conditions to go breaming in from a kayak but it’s still better than working. There were only 5 boats and my yak in today’s comp and at 7am we punched out into the wind and scattered.

I stuck to the southern end of Pittwater and after an hour of flicking SP’s around the boats and pontoons I thought, ‘Hmmm, not even a bite. Let’s try something different.’ I switched to an SX40 and slowly rolled this along the shorelines. An hour later with only one slight nudge for my efforts, I thought I’d try the flats and the incoming tide.

Finally I hook-up and it feels like an ok fish. I see a few glints of silver down deep and then start cursing. It’s a smallish Pinkie (young snapper) of about 23cm. Gees they go hard. I persevere for a just legal flattie and decided to pull the pin on the flats, so I battled the wind into Winnererremy Bay - look it up if you want to know where it is. I had to! : ) – and ventured up into the small creek. I flicked a few poppers about, as well as SP’s, and continued my run of a duck.

At about 12:30 I finally, FINALLY, land a bream and it’s about 20cm’s long TOTAL length. Two minutes later I land its twin (or maybe the same one, who knows) and basically that’s it! I meet Jorg and Jeff who both have two fish each. Swines! I then bump into Gary Brown and Nicko who have two and one fish respectively. More swines! Eventually there are about four groups all fishing in this one little bay, chatting as we flick lures about. Jeff hooks up again and lands a nice fish from a boat that three of us have already worked over. ‘Thems the breaks,’ I think.

So I finished up with a big, fat donut! A few bream were weighed in but no monsters. Gary had the biggest bream at 690g plus he had a very nice flathead of about 65cm. The fish of the day however went to Jorg who had a 44cm (I think) whiting that weighed 890g. It was a ripper as thick as your forearm.

So, only one social to go and I’m leading by one point, so it should make for an exciting final next month. Fordy and I are going to hassle the bass population somewhere next week so wish us luck. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

cheers,
Cid

No comments: