Tuesday 29 May 2007

Georges River Report – 10/6/06



After a week of rain I was itching to get out and catch some fish. I’d had a quick session on Thursday afternoon and landed 3 bream to 37cm (it took off like a train and I thought I’d hooked a school Jewie) but I was only out for an hour, which as we all know is nowhere near long enough! Fordy and I had decided to finish off the filming on the Georges and we were joined by Mick Munns, maker of East Coast Lures such as the Wiggle-Whomp and the Rack-Rat.

The tide was high when we hit the water and we thought we’d work the mangroves with poppers and SP’s. The fish were scarce and Mick and Fordy both dropped fish early on which could’ve started our bag off. As the tide started to drop we made our way towards the river proper.

Mick was first to land a bream and followed up with another a few minutes later, both coming from private jetties. I then picked one up off a jetty, too and also landed a 50cm flathead on a Halco Scorpion.

With the camera rolling, Fordy stepped up to the challenge and fired a cast that landed perfectly next to a crusty pontoon. ‘Lift, twitch, twitch...’ and wallop, he’s on! This was a good bream but Fordy knows his stuff and guided it away from the structure and deftly netted our best bream for the day. It went 33cm and was nice and fat. Big grins for the camera and back she goes into the depths.

Fordy and Mick leap-frogged each other, taking turns at landing bream from the various pontoons, jetties and boat hulls using a variety of SP’s such as Berkley 3”minnows (Pumpkinseed) , 6” Sandworms (Camo) and green 2” Hawgs. After a while I’d had enough filming and Mick was kind enough to leave a bream for me under a boat and I landed my best for the day at 32cm. Total for the day would have been about a dozen bream and one nice flathead.

This weekend sees me competing in the Ausbream Social at Roseville and Fordy may be heading out to do some winter bassin’, so visit us next week for the full wrap-up. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: