Tuesday 29 May 2007

Oyster Bay and Camden – 18/11/06

Aaaah, how good was it to be back on the water after having last week off due to the U2 concert and too many late nights with friends from FNQ. To get back into the swing of things, first off was a dawn raid to my local, Oyster Bay.

Only a two hour session but I managed 4 bream and 3 flathead. Surprisingly, all the fish, even the flatties, were caught from under pontoons on Berkley Gulp Sandworms. I tried the flats and rocky shorelines with various HB’s and SP’s for zilcho! The tide was right on high so maybe they’d decided to move under the pontoons for security until the tide started to run out again.

I lost one nice fish that quickly wrapped me around a pylon while I was admiring the idyllic sunrise and conditions. D’oh! You’ve got to stay on your toes all the time around these pontoons and jetties.

In the afternoon, Mick Munns from East Coast Lures, Fordy and I launched at Camden to see if we could rustle up a few Aussie Bass. We had the water all to ourselves and despite the fact that the whole river looked very fishy with lots of structure and overhanging vegetation, we just couldn’t manage to land a scale.

Mick was well and truly smashed up in one of the smaller feeder creeks and Fordy and he both had numerous surface strikes that failed to hook up. I hooked what felt like a nice fish on a SMAK spinnerbait in one of the deeper sections along the weed beds but he promptly surged into the weeds and nothing I did could tempt him out again. He kept my lure as a souvenir! Even though it was a fishless afternoon, we had a great time on this beautiful waterway.

A few people have emailed me about my camera set-up on the Hobie. I’ve included a photo that shows how I’ve rigged my Video Camera on it. The Hobie has a mast hole just in front of the foot well and I’ve removed the central leg of an old tripod and this fits neatly into the mast hole. The tripod head fits the video and also the still camera I use, so it’s just a matter of attaching whichever one I like and start shooting. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: