Tuesday 29 May 2007

Cooks River Report – 7/5/06



This week saw Fordy and I fish the run out tide on the Cooks River. We’d just picked up a few lures in the new colour (ECL Pink) from East Coast and we were dead keen to try them out. Ooh they look good! We worked the freeway wall but Fordy was the only scorer with a small chopper tailor taken on a Halco Scorpion.

We headed upstream to the oyster-covered rock walls and I tied on an East Coast Wiggle-Whomp. These really stir up the surface and I was ready for a big surface smash! About 5 casts later and no smash, just a ‘sluuuurp’ and the lure disappeared underwater. I lifted the rod and came up tight on a nice bream that went 27cm fork. A few minutes later Fordy came up tight but pulled the hooks on what seemed a much better fish. Bugga!

As the bottom of the tide drew near we decided to hit the moored boats. First hull and Fordy starts whooping. A 26cm fork specimen is landed, caught on Berkley 6” Sandworm in Camo colour. I’m fishing the same lure but its 3 boats before I get a bream and it’s not even legal. Fordy’s guffaws are ignored.

But I soon come good and pull two fish (both 26cm fork) from successive boats. Fordy bags another of 25cm fork and then the action dies off so we headed back to the ramp. As I’m packing up, Fordy has a cast along the shoreline with another East Coast surface lure, a Rack Rat in black and silver. ‘Boof’ and the lure is hit just as it lands. ‘Jammy swine’ I think, and he laughingly holds up a net-damaged 27cm fork bream for the camera.

Not a bad session, six legal fish and a couple of bigger specimens dropped. But as they say, ‘That’s fishin’. Happy yakkin’ everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: