Tuesday 29 May 2007

Oyster Bay & Nepean Report – 3 & 7/1/07

Welcome to 2007! I had to get into the year quickly and with only a 2 hour window before work I raced down to Oyster Bay on the 3rd. The water was a bit murky after all the rain so I decided to go with a few hardbodies around the shorelines. I had two rigged up which I’d use for about five minutes each before changing back. I had on an SX40 (the purple coloured one) and a black/silver SMAK RackWalker. And the eventual winner of first bream of the year went to the SMAK lure. Not a huge bream but not a bad start either at 31cm’s total length and I’m up and running for the year.

I kept a fishing diary of my bream outings last year (kayak only) and these were some of my stats: I was lucky enough to get out 57 times and landed 210 bream of legal size or bigger. Average caught per session was 3.7 and average total length was 29.2cm’s. Biggest fish of the year went to a beauty from Woolooware bay that went 41.5cm’s total length. Hopefully I’ll meet up with him again later this year! : )

We also made it up to the Nepean for an afternoon session on the weekend, so it’s over to Fordy for that update. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

Lunch was taken early on the 5th day and as the sun poured in from above I meet up with Capt Cid at Tench reserve to start the afternoon session.

Our usual paceman Mick Munns was out with what looked to me to be an ankle that was hit by a truck and the pitch report coming back from the centre was for increasingly tough conditions.
Capt Cid let rip early with a bank hugging cast that popped and skipped a little before being engulfed by the fish of the day, a 31cm specimen that fort hard for it’s size. I followed with a barrage of casts skipping Eastcoast Pop’n’bugs under every over hanging tree until finally I was on, not a huge fish at 25cm but the only one of the five I caught that was able to make the score board.

As the afternoon drew to a close we decided to target the stumps of the ever present rail bridge with spinnerbaits and small diving lures, but unfortunately the bass hard dug in for the afternoon and with a draw looming we headed for home and the bonus points awarded for an early return to the sheds.

Hopefully the next session will prove to be more rewarding !

Cheers,
Fordy.

No comments: