Tuesday 29 May 2007

Cooks River 31-3-07

After last weeks banana experiment I thought I may as well keep going and launch straight into ‘Banana Theory 2’. Last week I got my 5 bag of bream in 2 ½ hours. This time I decided to double my bad luck and take TWO bananas with me. Wow, talk about tempting fate.

I’m still limited time wise when it comes to my sessions due to our brand new daughter, so with 3 hours scheduled I launched at 6am and headed straight to the road bridge of the Princes Hwy over the Cooks River. The tide was right on high so I’d have about 30 minutes of slack water until the tide started to run and the fish came on the chew.

After an hour I thought that maybe I’d tempted fate a bit too much when finally, the first bream of 27cm’s came off the flats. The very next cast I landed a 30cm tailor, which was a bit of a surprise way up here. I’ve caught choppers up to 20cm’s before but this guy was heaps better.

At the railway bridge the tide was just starting to move when I landed number 2 of 25cm’s. I kept swapping SP’s but as has been the case the last few weeks, only the 6” Gulp Sandworms in Camo were getting the bites.

The next two fish were the best of the day: a 32cm and a very nice 38cm battler than made three desperate runs for the safety of the pylons but each time I managed to stop him a few feet short. I turned for home still needing one more fish for my 5 bag and I picked it up from under the hull of the 3rd last boat before the ramp. This 28cm bream gave me a 5 bag of 2.38kg’s, so not a bad effort for 3 hours.

So did the extra banana bring more bad luck? Well, it did take an extra 30 minutes to get my bag, I suppose. Apparently though, I’m not doing it right. I’ve been told that you have to EAT the bananas so that the smell of it gets on your hands, which means that when you handle your SP’s etc, the smell will get transferred and the fish will say ‘See ya!’ Looks like I’m not done with the banana superstition yet. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: