Tuesday 29 May 2007

Ausbream Port Hacking Report – 15/10/06

What a lousy turnout it was for the October round of the socials. Normally there’d be between 10 and 20 boats but all that wanted to duke it out with the Hacking was 13 anglers! Six boats and one yak and in hindsight, maybe I was the 13th angler, which at least gives me a reason for the lousy days fishing I had.

The weather wasn’t too bad and it was an overcast day so I had high hopes of getting at least 3 bream which was the bag limit for the day. To cut a long story short, for the seven hours (which roughly means about 500 casts) I totaled one 36cm flathead, two chopper tailor and two bream that were both 24.5 cm’s. That’s a lousy 5mm short of the legal size, so back they both went. I suppose I should have kept them in my live well and fed them something because they might’ve grown that extra little bit as the day wore on.

To make matters even worse, I bumped into Gary Brown at about 11am and said ‘How ya doin’, Gary?’ half hoping he’d say ‘Rubbish. Nuthin’ about,’ but instead he said ‘Not bad. I’ve got my three and have upgraded once.’ Swine! ‘So uh,’ I said, ‘…what are ya using?’ ‘Berkley Minnows in Pumpkinseed and Sandworm in Camo,’ he answered. Bugga, exactly the same as me! But there you have it, some days you get fish everywhere and other days you couldn’t catch one if it was thrown to you underarm.

At least the weigh in cheered me up slightly as everyone agreed it had been a tough’ish sort of day. Gary ended up in 2nd spot, just edged out by Stevo. If you’re keen to learn about some of the techniques and tackle that is used to chase these great sport fish, visit www.ausbream.com The site is full of advice from some brilliant breamers that really know there stuff. Hmmmm, maybe I’d better go and brush up a bit…

Depending on the weather this weekend, Adam and I will either be trying for kingies in Botany Bay or chasing bass out west. Either option sounds pretty darn good to me. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: