Tuesday 29 May 2007

Berowra Waters Report – 25/9/06

Surely the weather guys were wrong! 25 knot winds with 40 knot gusts were nowhere to be seen as 10 boats and 2 yaks set off at 7am to chase a bag limit of your two biggest bream.

Most boats headed back upstream in search of oyster racks. I turned right and headed over to the rock walls still in the shade. I flicked a variety of SP’s – 3” Minnows, Hawgs, Turtleback and Sandworms. Most of the nudges and bites were on the Minnows and Sandworms and my first keeper (at 7:38am) snaffled a sandworm hopped along the bottom.

I played around with a few HB’s too, but the chopper tailors were everywhere. No real size to them, they were all about 25-27cm long. After I’d landed a dozen I put the HB’s back into the tackle box until next time.

Bream number two joined me at 8:10am. Good, that’s my bag but now to upgrade as they were only just above legal size. The first went 26cm total length, the second went 27cm. Next to pay a visit were two flatties and as I slipped the last one back into the water the trees started to rustle.

At 8:42am, the predicted wind howled down the valley so I legged it into one of the small creeks. Nothing up there, so back onto the main river and downstream I went. I fished close to the shore but the bite had shut down. I persisted and finally at 1pm I landed an upgrader of 32cm.

The tough conditions kept fish numbers down; in fact only 18 fish in total were caught. A few boats had pulled the pin early (can you blame them!) and only a handful of us were there to see the final results. Jorge took out top spot with two nice fish of about 38cm. Plus he had a ripper of a flathead that went 75cm. Not as good a result for me this time but I did get 5th place so I was still in the points!

Next week, if all goes to plan, Adam and I will be having our first crack at the bass for the season, so we’ll be praying for some great surface action from these Aussie Bronze Battlers. Happy yakkin’, everyone.

Cheers,
Cid

No comments: